Monday, September 28, 2009

Run with the Pack!

So I ran to work today, first, to try to get back to the habit of running, and second (and equally important) to try to get a feel for running with a back-pack (essential if this Marathon des Sables attempt is to be at all realistic.) Fortunately, my run to work is short, less than half-an-hour (though fairly tough and hilly.)

The good news: I felt strong, if a bit fatigued. The bad news: the pack, small as it was, made a significant difference to the run. I managed to fill it completely with my clothes and shoes for the working day, as well as a towel and shampoo. The little pack was bulging at the seams. More concerning, my running experience was quite a lot changed. I could feel the weight of it on my back, and my running gait felt a lot more awkward. I could also feel a much greater pressure on the quads. Fortunately, this pack sits very nicely on the back, and once the various straps are cinched, there is very little movement. However, the 30 minute run to work felt significantly more difficult with the back-pack. (Although, I ran home again this evening, so the pack is manageable.) It'll be interesting to see, though, how I adapt on longer, more challenging runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment