Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 4: to Barranco Camp (3940 m)

Wake again at 6 AM -- it's freezing outside! We get moving quickly. Our aim is to reach the Lava Tower by lunch, the highest point (at 4600 m) we'll reach before summit night. I'm finding the going to be fairly easy and I have no symptoms of altitude sickness.

Left: the Lava Tower

I ask Bruce about the Abramovich thing -- he confirms that the guy is indeed on the mountain & he registered at the camps along the way. (Apparently, lots of other celebrities have also been there recently. He mentioned Arjen Robben and Guus Hiddink from Dutch football - just a few weeks earlier, and even Justin Timberlake! Suddenly, my great Kilimanjaro climb doesn't seem so impressive.) Even the US Marines come here occasionally -- cutting off all telecommunications traffic on the mountain when they need to update their website...!

We reach the Lava Tower by about 1 PM. The early heat is giving way to much colder conditions, as it clouds over. After leaving the Lava Tower, it is a steep descent down almost all the way to Barranco Camp. There are rocky sections, and our guide, Fuat is racing down, seemingly in a hurry to reach the camp. Dave takes a tumble on the way down, and bruises his thigh. (Furtunately, it seems to be a fairly minor injury.)

We reach a grove of cactus-like plants (senecio plants) that grow to be up to 8-10 feet tall.

Right: Nitin next to a senecio plant

We finally reach Barranco Camp around 3:30 PM. It is a small city of tents with a view over the plain and the city of Moshi, and with the Kili peak looming overhead.







Left: the summit from Barranco Camp


There are lots of people at the camp - a number of different routes meet here, including the Lemosho and Macheme routes. I wander around after tea, and meet some folks from San Francisco (almost in the same neighborhood as me...) Dinner is getting a bit monotonous at this stage - another peculiar concoction of noodles and some sort of beef stew/curry. It's a bit warmner at this camp than it has been the past few nights. However, I still quickly get in to my tent & I'm asleep again by 9 PM. I wake briefly at about 3 AM - when I get out of the tent, I can see the lights of the city of Moshi below, and a bright sky of stars above.

No comments:

Post a Comment