Saturday, November 21, 2009

North Face Endurance 50k Prep

Now it's official: I have managed to gain entry into the North Face Endurance 50k race on December 5th!

Now, question is, have I done enough preparation at this stage to even consider running 50k (i.e. ~33 miles -- considerably more than the 26.2 miles in a marathon, my previous longest run)? I completed another 2-hour run in the Park today (translating to probably 16 miles or so...) Problem is, I'm now almost within 2 weeks of the race, so it's almost time to taper...

So, my tentative strategy for now is to attempt a very humble race -- take it as slowly as possible, walk sections if/when necessary, and do everything possible to get to the finish line without really killing myself.

Today, I also did a test-drive of my new trail running shoes, the North Face Rucky Chucky. Jury is still out -- they certainly feel rigid & seem to grip the road (though roads dont provide a real test for trail running shoes) but I can feel the extra weight, and they seemed to sap my strength a bit as the miles went by.

No comments:

Post a Comment