Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 3 of Trek: Rest Day at Namche


Next day was a "rest day" for us. Something of a misnomer, as we actually still had a two-hour hike ahead of us! (The idea, for rest days, is to spend a second night in the same location, at the same altitude, but during the day, to hike higher, then descend back down for the evening. That way, by following the "climb high, sleep low" mantra, we're helping our bodies adjust to the new, higher altitude.)

right: Everest in the distance (second peak from the right - above & left of my finger!)

That being said, one of our group, Bipina, woke feeling weak and nauseous. We started our planned hike - from Namche village up to the Everest View Hotel, where we'd get some tea and (unsurprisingly!) get a view of Everest... I found the going easy - the day was pleasant and warm, and after an initial steep section, we were walking through green meadows, and before long, we could see the Everest View ahead of us. Bipina, however, was really struggling, complaining of a racing heart-rate & general weakness, and she eventually returned down to the village, before reaching the Everest View Hotel. Our guide, Buddha, was clearly concerned about her. (Obviously, we were only 3 days into the long trek - very early to be seeing these kinds of symptoms.)

We hiked down afterwards and spent the rest of the day shopping, drinking espresso & surfing the net (just like home!) However, when I went back to my cold bed for the night, I realized again where I was. In addition, I had a fitful night's sleep -- looks like I'm coming down with something too (though it seems more like a head-cold, in my case, than any altitude-related symptom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment