Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mar 6 - 7: Orientation in Kathmandu


I was finally situated in my hotel, the Hotel Shakti, a good place a little ways away from the middle of things in Thamel. I was calm (at least, after I got over the fact that the Mountain Monarch trekking guy completely overcharged me -- $45.00 a night for my 2 additional nights at the hotel! Outrageous!! I finally managed to Zen out and focus on the positive...!)

I took a nap & woke up a few hours later, in darkness. Power was out. Apparently, Kathmandu has a schedule of daily power outages for several hours every day - something people get used to, apparently! I tried the shower - cold (possibly related to the power outage...)

I ventured out into the street -- everything was dusty and chaotic -- cars & motorcycles coming seemingly from every side with no apparent concept of lanes or real order (and an incessant honking of horns...) Not too many street lights, so I navigated the rough streets as best I could. I located the main tourist thoroughfare. There were not too many Westerners around, but lots of hawkers selling trinkets, and (in particular) offering hash, seemingly at every corner. After an hour or two, I felt burned out by it all and retreated to bed at my hotel! A hectic first day...

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success.

    ReplyDelete